Thanks for stopping by and checking out our reviews on the best coffee percolator. We review both the electric coffee percolators and the stovetop coffee percolators. For avid coffee drinkers, having a nice cup of their favorite beverage ready at any time they want is one of their simple pleasures. This is why investing in a quality percolator makes perfect sense, so you can easily grab a cup of coffee whenever and wherever you want. Whether you are at home or outdoors, a coffee percolator never fails in providing you with a generous amount of coffee.
Table of Contents
- 1 How It Works
- 2 History of the Coffee Percolator
- 3 Reviews of the Best Percolators on the Market Today!!
- 4 1. Presto 12-Cup Stainless Steel 02811 Coffee Maker-Our Top Pick for Best Electric Percolator!
- 5 2. Farberware 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator FCP412
- 6 3. Farberware 8-Cup Yosemite Classic Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator-Our Top Pick for the Best Stovetop Coffee Percolator!
- 7 4. West Bend 12-Cup Classic Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator 54159
- 8 5. Coleman 14-Cup Coffee Percolator-Our Top Pick for the Best Percolator for Camping!
How It Works
A coffee brewing stove-top device, a percolator aims to achieve the required or preferred strength by exposing the coffee grounds to a very high water temperature. If you want a more robust beverage, then you can rely on this device to make it possible for you. For those who are concerned about over-extracting the ground coffee beans, it is always easy to avoid this issue by paying close attention as the coffee grounds brew. A trial and error of different techniques in brewing can also lead to a richer and more flavorful coffee that you have been craving for. As you become more familiar with the quirks and unique design of the percolator, it is ultimately possible to make every drink truly perfect and gourmet-quality. This is why in the end, choosing this brewing device is a smart move because of its versatility, performance, and a reasonable price point. A coffee percolator functions with the use of a unique mechanism incorporating bubbles that form in the boiling water and a good amount of ground beans that are fairly coarse in quality. The coffee beans are placed in the upper chamber, while water remains in the bottom part of the unit. After placing the percolator over the stove, the water will soon become hotter and this will initiate the brewing process as it filters through the coffee grounds. Upon reaching the boiling point, the bubbles will stop forming, and you will then need to remove the unit from the stove. Then, you can pour the beverage out and enjoy your drink. We review both the best electric coffee percolators and the best stovetop coffee percolators.
History of the Coffee Percolator
Ever since the coffee percolator was introduced in the market, there have been improvements made to further enhance its performance. Let us take a look at how it all started, as well as the recent enhancements that made it a constant favorite among coffee aficionados. In 1810, Sir Benjamin Thompson first came up with a percolating coffee pot, which was largely inspired by his preference for coffee. However, the very first modern coffee percolator came out in the 1819. Joseph Henry Marie Laurens, a Parisian tinsmith, introduced a stove-top percolator that possessed some of the features found in the earlier models of this coffee maker. In the US, another design for a coffee percolator was created. James Nason, an inventor from Franklin, Massachusetts, received a patent for his work in 1865 when he came up with his own version of a percolator. This unit relied on a down flow technique without the incorporation of water and rising steam. It was in 1889 when the essential elements found in the percolator we know to this modern day were first implemented in this coffee brewing unit. Hanson Goodrich, a farmer from Illinois, obtained a patent for his stove top coffee percolator that comes with a broad base for the boiling of water and a perforated basket on the upflow central tube. While there were other patents that followed this invention, the main features found in this modern percolator remained. In the 1970s, there were coffee ground filter rings became widely available in the market, which were used in a percolator. The rings come with a pre-measured amount of ground coffee beans sealed in a paper filter. There is a small hole found in the middle, so the filter ring can be placed in the percolator basket that is around the convection or percolator tube. Before these coffee ground filter rings were introduced, however, the means of measuring out the fresh grounds were through a spoon. Then, these were poured into the percolator basket. By doing so, this resulted in some coffee grounds leaking into the fresh coffee. Some wet grounds also remained in the metal percolator basket, which was a hassle. This is why having pre-measured and pre-packed ground coffee filters was beneficial because of the accuracy these offer. There is no need for you to measure every scoop. Moreover, the sturdy filter paper can securely hold the coffee grounds, and you can remove them easily from the basket to be discarded after use. The process of cleaning the percolator basket is also made simpler and quicker. A percolator is widely used by outdoors enthusiasts because of the ease in making coffee even without relying on electricity. Thus, it is a must-have for campers, hikers, and anyone who wants to have coffee on-demand while they are out and about.
Reviews of the Best Percolators on the Market Today!!
If you are in the market for a top-quality coffee percolator that you can count on for the finest-tasting brew, then you may want to check out the different products below for ideas on what to buy for your needs. We review the best electric coffee percolators and the best stovetop coffee percolators!!
1. Presto 12-Cup Stainless Steel 02811 Coffee Maker-Our Top Pick for Best Electric Percolator!
There is nothing more enlivening to a coffee lover than the taste and aroma of a perfectly-brewed coffee. This is why the Presto 12-cup coffee percolator is a great addition to your kitchen, as it caters to your passion for a nice cup of Joe at any time of the day or night. What we like about this coffee maker goes beyond its fascinating looks, as its performance and features are a true gem for every individual who craves for a fine beverage that takes only minutes to prepare. We will show you why we think the Presto 02811 is the best electric percolator on the market today!
1. Elegant-This percolator comes in a stainless steel design, which makes it quite easy on the eyes. It is a hotel-style unit that will look great as a centerpiece during your business meeting or formal event. The material makes it appear sophisticated and hardly cheap-looking at all. This will surely grace any classy buffet table without any problem.
2. Smart Features-The inner components of the percolator are crafted from stainless steel such as the perk tube and the filter basket. This is why there is no strange taste or smell that mixes with your coffee. Moreover, you can count on the durability of these fixtures, as compared with those made from aluminum. Another practical feature of this unit is the indicator light located in the base. Just check this part to determine if your beverage is ready to pour out of the chamber.
3. Efficiency-This 12-cup coffee percolator brews your coffee at a quick pace. In fact, it only takes about 6 minutes to brew up to 8 cups of coffee. So, there is no long waiting period before you can have a sip of your freshly brewed beverage. As a bonus, your drink remains in its desirable temperature as the unit keep it piping hot – just the way you like it.
4. Hassle-Free Storage-The unit stands at 13 inches tall, which means it should easily fit in your cupboard or just let it sit on the kitchen counter. There should also be no problem with storage because of the removable power cord.
1. Tough to Clean-Cleanup can be a little tricky with this unit because it is not advisable to immerse it in water. You need to make sure it is cooled completely before you begin cleaning its parts, as well as the exterior. Once it has cooled down, wash the unit with warm and soapy water, and be sure to dry it well. You can use a pipe cleaner to get rid of the debris in the filter basket and the perk tube.
2. Delicate Exterior-It is important to note that stainless steel can easily lose its glossy quality if cleaned the wrong way. This is why you should never use abrasive cleaners or scrubs when cleaning the unit. If you want, you may use a stain remover on the interior, but only do so periodically to prevent damages to the appearance of the unit.
3. Lack of Sophisticated Features-If you are in search of some advanced features to this unit, you may be disappointed because it only comes with basic functions. There is no brew interrupt, or a timer, or even a programmable brewing in this coffee maker.
Here is a really nice video of the Presto Coffee Maker
Overall, we are pleased with what this coffee percolator from Presto can do. Sure, it lacks some advanced functions, but considering its performance, aesthetics, capacity, and durability, we are more than happy with what it is designed to do. What’s more, it comes with a reasonable price along with the great features that makes this product hard to beat
2. Farberware 12-Cup Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator FCP412
If you are tired of searching for a great quality coffee percolator that will last for years, then this product may be worth considering. It can be quite an upgrade to past coffee makers that you feel were substandard in terms of their performance, yet without having to break the bank. This Farberware coffee percolator comes with a 12-cup capacity, which should be plenty enough to share with friends or to give you as many servings of your favorite beverage without the long wait.
1. Amazing Taste-What we like about this percolator is its rich and hearty taste. It never had a “watered down” flavor to it, so we always enjoyed sipping a cup of coffee brewed from this ever-reliable unit. The brewing process is just right, which has a positive impact on the coffee’s overall quality. Plus, the temperature remained hot instead of lukewarm. So, this also affects how the drink turns out, making it almost comparable to gourmet coffee you can buy at the coffee house.
2. Fast Brewing-With 1000 watts of power, this percolator is capable of maintaining a brew speed of a cup per minute. It has consistently been fast and efficient, which eliminates the long waiting period before we can savor the fine taste of our drink.
3. Smart Features-We like the auto keep warm mode of this pot, which ensures the optimal temperature of the beverage. Then, there are some safety functions that add to the overall usage of the percolator including the cool-touch handle, lid knob, and the rolled edges. After use, you can also detach the power cord, which also allows you to store the unit easily. This is most beneficial when you have a limited space in the cupboard or kitchen shelf.
4. Price Point-Budget-wise, this unit is an excellent choice without a doubt because it is reasonably-priced. You don’t need to compromise your budget just to get yourself a dependable percolator since this product works without fail. You can get the best value for your dollar by choosing this product because of the features and benefits it offers – all for an amazing price tag.
Here is a really nice video on How To Clean your electric percolator
We can’t really say exactly that this is a “con” since there is obviously something good about the fact that it is made from stainless steel. For instance, this material is undeniably durable and elegant, thus adding a great value for your money.
On the other hand, one of the most common concerns with stainless steel is the visible fingerprints. This may seem trivial for others, but for people who want a completely flawless look for their coffee maker, nasty prints tend to ruin the whole appearance of the unit. But the good news is you can always wipe it off with a dry clean cloth, and it’s picture-perfect again. No big deal.
With its performance, design, and quality, this product is surely worth your time and money. It can make as much coffee as you want to entertain a few friends or family members, and brewing goes by fast enough without compromising the taste of the beverage. For a well-known brand with an established reputation, along with an affordable price tag for this unit, we have no reservations with giving this item a two thumbs up.
3. Farberware 8-Cup Yosemite Classic Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator-Our Top Pick for the Best Stovetop Coffee Percolator!
Another impressive percolator from Farberware, the Yosemite stainless steel classic series is one that will surely meet the standards of coffee purists out there who are on a budget. This stovetop percolator can brew 4 to 8 cups of coffee in a few minutes. As a renowned brand that’s been in the industry for more than a century, you can count on the consistent performance of this name when it comes to coffee machines.
1. Heavy Duty -When it comes to coffee percolators, stainless steel is without a doubt your best bet for the material. This eliminates the health risks that comes with aluminum, not to mention the aesthetic appeal that stainless steel offers. The mirror finish is stunning, and this unit exudes that traditional and classy look that will match your contemporary kitchen. Since it’s made from stainless steel, this makes it as durable and sturdy as how you want it to be. This unit should certainly last for a lifetime.
2. User-Friendly Features -The handle has an ergonomic design, which makes it a breeze for you to grasp it and pour the contents out to your cup. Then, there’s the tight-fitting lid that keeps the heat sealed in to maintain the best temperature of your coffee. The plastic knob has a see-through design, so this eliminates the guesswork during the brewing process. You can easily take a peek and check if your coffee is ready.
3. Easy to Clean- Once you are done using this unit, you can simply toss it into the dishwasher and let the machine handle the cleanup for you. It is a fully immersible pot, so there is no need to worry about it getting wet. There are also no messy paper filters to this unit since it uses a permanent filter basket. Not only does it save you from buying paper filters, but this also adds to the ease in cleaning up after using the pot.
4. Outstanding Taste- The interior of this unit is also crafted from stainless steel. There is no plastic component inside, so your coffee remains free from chemical odor or flavor. With brewing done to perfection and without reactive interior, the result is always flawless – great coffee just how you like it.
For the most part, this percolator does fantastic light or medium roast coffee. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the darker roast since the taste ends up having a somewhat burned quality to it. But of course, this is still a personal preference, although it is evident that lighter roasts always have a better aroma than darker ones.
Also, the spout has a rather strange design because of the metal component wrapped around the hole found on the side of the unit. While it has no bearing at all to the pot’s brewing function, pouring the last drops of water or coffee can be a bit of a pain because of the curled top rim. This is not a major dysfunction to the unit, but it would be better if pouring the entire contents out can go by smoothly.
After testing this unit ourselves, we can say that the Yosemite coffee percolator from Farberware is a good choice for those who are on a budget, but will not settle for a cheap and inefficient coffee maker. It has a sensible design and brilliant features that make it deserving of a spot in this list of top coffee percolators in the market today. We think the Farberware Yosemite is the best stovetop coffee percolator on the market today!
4. West Bend 12-Cup Classic Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator 54159
The secret to an amazing-tasting coffee lies both in the coffee grounds and the brewing process. This is why we like this coffee percolator from West Bend because of how it makes it easy for anyone to prepare coffee and get excellent results all the time. You can never go wrong with this percolator even if you had no previous experience or sophisticated coffee-making skill.
1. Decent Aesthetics -While this may not have the ultra-elegant or out-of-the-ordinary appearance as with other high-end coffee percolator brands, the West Bend deserves a second look in terms of its aesthetics. It is not shiny, but it is something that you will never regret having in your kitchen.
2. Fantastic Tasting Brew- In terms of the taste of coffee you can expect from this unit, you will be pleased to know that it is indeed amazing. If you have always been a fan of percolated coffee, then the outcome of your drink will always meet your expectations. The brew is just perfect and the temperature of your coffee remains just the way you prefer it to be.
3. Practical- This unit comes with a permanent filter, which is quite practical since there is no need for you to keep buying paper filters that only adds up to your expenses. What’s more, you no longer have to be bothered by the strange taste of your coffee each time the paper material from the filter mixes with it.
4. Easy to Serve -Whenever you are entertaining guests, and you want to serve them coffee, you can simply place this unit on the table with your hot beverage in it. Just unplug it from the power outlet, and you can conveniently pour the coffee out for your friends or family members. The spout even comes with a precision-perfect design, which means there are no splashes or spills to worry about.
5. Lid Design -The top part of the percolator has a plexiglass material. This means that it is much easier for you to determine the brewing process because of increased visibility. You will notice the water changing and obtaining the darker shade of the beans, so that gives you an idea that your coffee is ready in a bit.
If you want to prevent build-up or discoloration of the interior portion of your percolator, then it makes sense to use filtered water. This also helps improve the taste and aroma of your coffee while prolonging the life span of the unit. Another thing about the build-up issue is due to not rinsing the inside quickly once the unit has cooled down. This is why you should make it a point to rinse it out with warm water to prevent this concern.
When it comes to the performance, appearance, coffee taste, and price tag, the Westbend percolator is a smart choice for practical shoppers out there. The intuitive design and user-friendly functions all add up in making this unit one of the best ones in the market, but without a steep price point.
5. Coleman 14-Cup Coffee Percolator-Our Top Pick for the Best Percolator for Camping!
Avid campers and outdoors enthusiasts will find this coffee percolator a great addition to their camping gear. With this unit, you brew as much as 14 cups of coffee for a delightful warming beverage you will love. Let us take a look at what you can expect from this coffee percolator from Coleman. It is also our pick for the Best Percolator for Camping!!
Below are some of the reasons that we think the Coleman 14 cup Coffee Percolator is the best percolator for camping!!
1. Durable Housing-The pot comes with a double-coated and sturdy enamel, which naturally resists cracks. As for the rim, it is made from stainless steel that prevents it from chipping easily. Both of these features make the unit durable enough to last for years.
2. Brewing Made Easy-There are everything you will ever need to obtain the perfect brew at all times. This unit is equipped with a basket, tube, basket lid, and the stable base. Moreover, the base is broad and wide to ensure the stability of the entire unit.
3. Lightweight and Portable-If you’re a minimalist and prefers to pack light, then this percolator will never disappoint. It has a good size that allows you to fit it easily into your backpack, yet it has plenty of space for brewing a good amount of coffee for the whole family. At a pound of weight for this unit, it is never a hassle to take it with you anywhere you may go.
However, this unit has some limitations. For instance, the top clear knob of the percolator is made from plastic. So, this makes it vulnerable to melting once you end up placing it accidentally in or at an angle of the fire. Another issue with this unit is the holes in the spout. These tend to be somewhat too large for some coffee grounds. You can always use filters, though, if you want to prevent the grounds from getting into your cup.
If what you look for is a smaller unit for making coffee when you are not home, then this product is a great choice for you. It is portable, lightweight, and compact to fit your backpack without a problem. Just be sure it has a few limitations that are not found in larger pots, but it works for the purpose it is designed for – to give you great-tasting coffee on demand without a long waiting period. For you avid campers looking for a great percolator, the Coleman is our top pick for the best coffee percolator for camping!!