Purists may cry foul, but the steam espresso maker is in the market, and it’s popular. Krups espresso machine is one of the best steam espresso machines, priced significantly lower than a conventional espresso maker. It is indeed the low cost of the steam espresso machine that gives it an edge over conventional espresso makers. Krups XP1000 is amongst the finest specimen of this category,
Let’s take a closer look with our Krups XP1000 review, and see how it stacks up.
Krups XP1000 Steam Espresso Review — Features on Offer
The biggest feature on the Krups steam espresso is bringing down the price of an espresso machine substantially. It has made compromises along the way, but the machine has managed to enter the realm of espresso makers, or more accurately, steam espresso maker. Let’s see what else the Krups steam espresso machine brings to the table.
Four Bar Pressure
The Krups XP1000 puts up a four bar pressure using steam. Espresso is made by pushing pressurized water through coffee. Generally speaking, something close to 15 bars would be considered ideal, though many may consider eight bars as acceptable too. Most steam espresso makers cannot generate that pressure, hence why many purists won’t call this an espresso. Though as the consumer response shows, customers aren’t really worried about these distinctions and are willing to purchase steam espresso machines.
Although, if the Nespresso Inissia can have a pressure of 19 bars in the $100–$200 range, perhaps steam espresso machines can find a way out too.
The biggest difference between an espresso brewed at the right pressure, and that brewed by a Krups steam espresso machine will be the crema. Espresso brewed by the Krups XP1000 won’t have that rich layer of crema that everyone is so fond of in an espresso.
Krups espresso machine has simple controls. There is a single three position control switch that is placed on off when not in use, in the “espresso” position when making coffee, and in the “steam” position when frothing milk.
On Off Light Indicator
This machine won’t automatically switch off. Remember to manually turn it off when you are done. An on/off indicator light will let you know if the machine is running.
Removable Drip Tray
Krups XP1000 has a removable drip tray that will make it easier to clean the drip tray easily. Believe me, you will be thankful for this. These machines continue dripping coffee for a while after they are done.
What’s Included In The Krups Steam Espresso Machine Packing
The Krups XP1000 machine comes packed with the following accessories:
- Four cup glass carafe
- Instruction booklet
- 2-year worldwide warranty
- Measuring spoon
- Filter holder
How To Use The Krups Espresso Machine XP1000
As is the operation of the machine, making coffee in the Krups steam espresso machine is fairly easy.
- Measure out four cups of water in the glass carafe. You may want to put more water than the number of cups you are making. Remember, a fair chunk of your water is going to become steam. Keep in mind the minimum and maximum water markings on the machine.
- Pour this water into the machine
- Add coffee to the filter holder
- Put the lid back onto the water compartment of the machine. Make sure it is well secured and screwed tight
- Switch on the machine, put the control in the “espresso” position
- You may have to wait 3–4 minutes before the coffee starts pouring
- When you have enough coffee in the carafe, simply turn the control back to “off” position
- If you want to froth your milk, simply shift the control to “steam” and place the milk under the steam wand. Due to the nature of the machine, the frother works best with full cream milk
And your espresso is ready. Remember to place the control back to “off”, and if you used the steam wand, clean it.
Build Quality And Aesthetics Of The Krups Espresso Machine
This is a simple, low priced machine, and it looks the part. It is mostly plastic, and the looks aren’t anything to be impressed by. It looks fairly average even in the stylized product images. There is a fair chance that your coffee will have a plastic taste for the first few times. It’s perhaps better to clean the machine before use and let it run a few cycles on plain water.
Using filtered water with the machine will help your coffee taste better. It will also reduce the intervals required before you descale the machine. All in all, it’s fairly average. And that’s not a bad thing, it’s just what one should expect from a machine priced economically.
Krups Espresso Machine XP1000 Review — Pros And Cons
- Competitively priced
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Measuring water is easy
- Machine is lightweight. Weighing just 4.4 pounds, it can be moved easily
- Fairly compact dimensions allow it to be placed conveniently
- The machine looks rather average (or below average)
- Since the pressure built isn’t high enough, there will be no crema on your espresso
- Again, due to the low pressure, the frothing with the wand only works on full-cream milk
Krups Espresso Machine XP1000 Review — The Verdict
Krups steam espresso machine is simple and economical. It won’t make the same quality espresso as conventional espresso makers, but it manages to do a fairly good job. Remember, just because you are using a low priced machine, you should not give up on conventional wisdom to make your coffee taste better. Whenever possible, use fresh roasted and fresh ground coffee. Treat your machine well, and keep it in good working condition.
Krups XP1000 is well equipped enough for the user to play around with their taste and flavor in coffee. That is one of the best qualities of this little, low priced steam espresso machine. It is innovative and easy to use, feel free to experiment. If you are looking for a machine in this price range, you could certainly give the Krups steam espresso machine a shot.